Thursday, March 10, 2011

Verde FC & Team USA


The team is coming along nicely. Your local football club should be playing a pre-season friendly against Detroit FC in a few weeks. Be sure to come out and cheer us on and remember to order your fancy replica kit soon. The campaign will start at the end of April and run through June at which point we'll take a couple months off and then finish the remainder of the season from August to October. We'll also be playing in the state tournament and a tournament on Belle Isle in July. Here's to hoping we can improve on last year's rather shocking record.In other soccer news, we scored our tix for the Gold Cup matches @ Ford Field in June. I'll be taking Aiden down w/ Liz, Dan, & my dad. It's a double header; the first match is Panama v Guadeloupe followed by USA v Canada. It'll be Aiden's 1st international, & I think he'll have a great time. Perhaps a good showing from the fans will help convince the MLS that we need a team in this area. If they perform like they did @ the World Cup last year, it'll be hard figuring out which squad (Verde or USA) puts up a more embarrassing summer... hopefully neither will be embarrassing... cross your fingers.

3 comments:

peltierinator said...

I think indy and st. louis have a better shot getting a team, maybe even atlanta. Unless ford or another company buy a team detroit will have to wait a while. new york may have a second team before you see one.

jason said...

Are you really that concerned about having an MLS team? I usually go to 3 or 4 DC United games a year, but that's mostly because we get free tickets, food & booze. I can't say I follow them closely and I wouldn't pay $25 or more for a ticket. With expansion I only see the quality of play going down.

Andre said...

I wouldn't say I'm "that concerned," but I'd like a team around here. I'd probably go a gew times a year.

They should introduce a promotion/relegation system and the Bucks could slowly move up. That'll never happen though.