Saturday, July 9, 2011

Gated Communities

This absolutely unoffensive and in no way problematic marriage pledge being signed by the GOP Presidential candidates got me thinking about the people who actually buy into this stuff. Safe and secure in secluded subdivisions behind walls and manicured berms, they have apparently convinced themselves that Black kids had it better under Slavery than under Obama & that (in a line lifted from Dan Quayle) divorce & single-parenthood may very well be the root of all evil. Well, after thinking on this for a few minutes, I decided that I shouldn't think on it any longer, but before I came to that conclusion, I was inspired to write a song... the 1st one since my last December's Holiday song, "All I Want for Christmas is a Shotgun." You may recall it, but even if you don't, it doesn't really matter. Here's the new one: think Arlo Guthrie doing Texas Swing. This could have gone on w/ verses about SUVs, large gas grills, & Christopher Cross, but I chose to end it after 3, Enjoy.

I wanna live in a gated community
Where everyone looks and acts just like me
We’re all safe behind our seasonal flags
There ain’t no Spics and there ain’t no fags
The men are strong and the women don’t nag
In a gated community

We’ll all be safe in our gated community
Where things are always exactly as they seem to be
We’re red blooded Americans
Our lawn’s maintained by the Mexicans
Our beer is from the Canadians
In our gated community

We’ll get to heaven from our gated community
It’s just a matter of time, don’t you see?
We like to party out on our yacht
We read best-sellers but we don’t read a lot
We only hit the most touristy spots
From our gated community

No comments: