Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Neko & My Morning Jacket


Dig her beauty!
For the 1st time since I saw Blues Traveler there 4 years ago (here's a review of that show, if you're interested... & I know you are) & only the 2nd time ever, I headed out to Meadowbrook last night for a concert. I went w/ Sara from Nicola's after the Arsenal v Udinese match (the Gunners won 1-0). Once there, we also got to hang w/ Laura which is always pretty awesome. I'd been wanting to see Neko Case for years, but I wasn't very familiar w/ My Morning Jacket. As it turns out, they kind of rock, but more on that after a few numbered thoughts:
1) Meadowbrook is pretty awesome. I need to go there more often. It's a lot closer than Pine knob & it's small & intamate.
2) Neko Case is awesome. She's smart, & beautiful, & interesting, & she has an amazing voice.
3) I wish Neko Case had been able to play a longer set.
4) Beer is better @ Meadowbrook than Pine Knob... & cheaper.
5) A thin blanket to sit on was a good idea, but a thinner one to keep us warm might have been a good idea.
6) I wish they didn't have the lights @ the top of the hill so we could have seen the stars better.

Neko played 6 or 7 songs. They came out & there were sound problems so they went back stage for another 10 minutes. When things were straightened out, she & her band rocked for a half hour or so. My Morning Jacket then came out & kind of blew us away. I'd been told by people on The Phil Zone that they might be the best live act since The Q. Well, that's a bit ridiculous, but they were definitely good. And the light show was absolutely stellar. They played for about 2 hours plus a 5 song encore (which included a duet w/ Neko on "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"):
1. Victory Dance
2. Circuital
3. You Wanna Freak Out
4. Off The Record
5. I'm Amazed
6. Anytime
7. Lowdown
8. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
9. Slow Slow Tune
10. Lay Low
11. Dondante
12. Gideon
13. Smokin From Shootin
14. (end of) Run Thru
15. First Light
16. Touch me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
17. Touch me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
18. War Begun
----------
19. Wordless Chorus
20. The Day Is Coming
21. Stop Draggin My Heart Around
22. Holdin On To Black Metal
23. One Big Holiday

They can definitely rock, & Jim James definitely has a touch of the Ronnie James Dio in his stage persona. They also clearly wear their influences on their sleeves, but unlike so many hippie bands, theirs seem a lot more varied. And they are kind of dark... like the darkest moments of a YEM jam blown out for 20 minutes, or some dark Pink Floyd stuff... plus The Faces & Kiss all wrapped into one weird ass thing. I gotta say, I dug them.
Dig his boots!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I quite liked reading your review here. I'm actually considering seeing this tour in Philadelphia, and was wondering how long you would say that Neko Case played in total? From what you describe, I'd imagine somewhere a little under an hour? I'm similarly not very familiar with My Morning Jacket, but your review has me thinking they might be worth catching as well. Thanks for reading.