Friday, January 14, 2011

The 15 Greatest Musicals

Last week, I discussed a couple of my favorite musicals. After a little criticism from my brother, I thought I should give you my list of the best musicals of all time... In reverse order, of course. (And we're only only including films that fall w/in the traditional definition of the musical, those in which the musical numbers actually advance the plot, rather than music based bio-pics in which the musical numbers are seperate performances, divorced from the narrative. Hence, no mention of La Bamba (1987) or Coal Miner's Daughter (1980))

15. West Side Story (1961):
I've always dug this one. It's got everything one wants, but it drags @ times so it's not further up the list.

14. Best little Whore House in Texas (1982):
A crap-ass movie, but it's got Renyolds, & Dolly Parton, & it takes place in a brothel. Barring those 3 points, it would never have made the list, but come on: props where props are due.

13. Kiss Me Kate (1953):
Taming of the Shrew is my fav of the comedies, so I was always going to love a musical based on it. Plus, when I was in 6th grade, I dated a girl named Kate & read a novelization. I can still picture the cover. (I had no idea it was based on Shakespeare back then though.)

12. School Daze (1988):
I must admit; I wasn't expecting the musical numbers when I watched it the first time. They work though. Plus it's set on against the backdrop of college protests in reference to divesting in South African Apartheid. Is there a better backdrop for a musical? I think not.

11. On the Town (1949):
I've never figured out if the homoerotic sub-text was intended, or if when one makes a musical w/ Sinatra & Gene Kelly about naval ship-mates on leave in NY it's just unavoidable. either way, the movie is a bit of a train wreck. Don't look away. You might miss something absolutely ridiculous.

10. Fiddler on the Roof (1971):
It's odd that Topal's 1st reference on the new blog isn't regarding Flash Gordon. We'll have to remedy that by a Flash Gordon rewatch this weekend. Isaiah seemed interested when he saw the DVD case the other day. Anyway... it's a fun movie w/ great songs. If I were a rich man, I'd buy all sorts of fancy Dijon ketchups.

9. Brigadoon (1954):
The framing device makes no sense @ all. that's OK though because it's set in the Scottish Highlands & it's really just an excuse to have men in kilts dance around & play up all of the basic Highlander stereotypes. Plus, there's the obligatory Gene Kelly homoerotics just like in On the Town. Awesome.

8. The Music Man (1962):
I love that this guy shows up, cons the town, bags the uptight librarian, & ends up the hero. Only in America!

7. The Wizard of Oz (1939):
There's no place like home, unless your home life kinda sucks. In which case, there are a lot of places like home. That's not the case for Dorothy Gale though. She kicks ass on 2 witches, helps out a bunch of weird-ass friends, & then wakes up in time for dinner.

6. Grease (1978):
I lived many years trying to hate this movie, but over the last 5 or 6 years, I've come around. It's fun as hell. Plus, Stockard Channing is fantastic.

5. Annie (1982):
This was the 1st film I saw in a theater w/o my parents. Petoskey's Gaslight Cinema was packed to the rafters. It may not be John Huston's best film, it may not even be his best film from the '80's, but it's awesome.

4. Mary Poppins (1964):
I love everything about this movie. It's hard done by missing out on a top-3 spot, but it'll be alright. The parents are great, Dick van Dyke is great. Julie Andrews is great. even the kids put in good performances.

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975):
It was on the other night, I fell asleep to the opening credits & woke up to the beginning of the floor show. While "Sweet Transvestite" is clearly the greatest moment of the film, the floor show is pretty cool too. Now describe your balls! "Heavy, black, & pendulous!" Brilliant.

2. The Sound of Music (1965):
The version of "Edelweiss" @ the end always brings a tear to my eye. He's singing about the love of his country to a group of Nazis who have just taken over. If only the rest of Austria was as opposed to the Anschluss as the van Trapp family.

1. Singing in the Rain (1952):
I know this is an obvious choice, but it's just so good. Every moment is great. If you haven't seen lately, give it a go this weekend. We'll have the big "Drifting into Deep Water Singing in the Rain rewatch." It'll be legendary.

Honorable Mention:
Best Busby Berkeley film:
42nd Street (1933)
Best Disney Animated film:
Peter Pan (1953), The Jungle Book (1967), Cinderella (1950)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

_Carousel_ says Warren

Andre said...

I thought we might hear from you about this one. I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Kristin said...

Patrick's putting on Brigadoon for the spring musical. I'm pretty sure it's all a ploy so he can wear his kilt to school ; I'm okay with that. Good fun.

Andre said...

Nice! That'll be fun.