Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ohhh, Rocky

I haven't been to an EMU production since I took the kids to see Jeff Duncan's Christmas Pantomime based on Peter Pan about 5 Christmases ago. it was good, but 5 years is too long to go w/o a visit to Quirk. The only other thing we'd ever seen there was a production of Amiri Baraka's Dutchman when we were undergrads. When I was working @ WCC, we scored tix to a pretty good production of Victor/Victoria, & we saw a crap production Ghosts @ Mendleson. Of all of them, I was most excited for Ghosts, & then I was subsequently most let down by it too. I don't know why we don't go to more stuff, but whatever the reason, we don't.

That's bound to change next month though as the EMU Department of Communication & Theater Arts is presenting The Rocky Horror Show in February. I have no idea how many times we saw the film in theaters (mainly @ the state in A2, but once @ Fairlane Mall in Dearborn), but we've never seen a stage production of it. I remember the 1st time I saw it, we were @ Holly's apartment in S. Lyon in the summer of '92. A friend of mine from high school was there & we ate deep fried mushrooms... Holly suggested it was like eating fried dog balls. An odd suggestion, but it stuck.I remember being pretty freaked out when Frank entered; I had no idea what it was about & I was certainly not expecting a musical. My reaction was similar about 8 years later when I saw School Daze for the 1st time & they broke into song in that too. I don't usually go for musicals (other than The Sound of Music & Singing in the Rain), but when a good one comes along, it needs to be supported. Who's up for joining us @ Rocky?

2 comments:

peltierinator said...

Did you just put Rocky Horror in the same category as Singing in the Rain and The Sound of Music?

Andre said...

Yes... the category of musical films.