Monday, May 9, 2011

Deep Space Six on Kentucky Derby Day

After a pulled muscle kept me from playing anything resembling the beautiful game on Saturday afternoon, I watched Verlander's no-no & the Kentucky Derby w/ Aiden & my dad. I really don't have any feelings one way of the other in regards to horse-racing... other than the simple conviction that the horses are getting pushed harder than they should be & that it's kind of a silly sport. I do have a strong belief in the ridiculousness of the 2 hours of fluff pieces about the jockey's childhoods & so forth... not to mention stupid hats the women wear. Of course, I've been known to wear a stupid hat on occasion too & here's the album to prove it, so who am I to judge?

Afterwards, I went to see Deep Space @ The Crosstown Bar & Grill. I seem to have forgotten that I'm not 23 anymore, & drank the place dry. The Mexican Slayrides* were flowing... after a 25 oz Oberon, I had 3 Slayrides, a shot of Cuervo & PBR. For some reason about which I was too wasted to enquire, my bill only came to 16 bucks. In hind sight, I think I got a deal. Knowing full well that I had to work @ 8:30 on Sunday morning, I then saw fit to go to an after-party & drink more Oberon... (To quote my team-mate's father after he broke two cheek bones in two games in one week, "stupid is stupid & there's no pill for it.") Anyway, a good time was had by all... but like w/ my previous Deep Space post, I must admit that I can't remember the set-lists as well as I used to, so you'll have to forgive me when you realize that it's not ony incomplete but also not quite in the right order. I feel like the first set is pretty accurate, but the second set must be missing stuff.

Set I:
Feelin' Alright
Althea
Evangeline
Blow Away
Box of Rain
Speedway >
Truckin' >
Terrapin

Set II:
Bertha
Same Thing
Help >
Slipknot >
Cumberland Blues

Encore:
The Race is On >
Dead Flowers

* Put a shot of Captain Morgan's in a pint glass and then fill w/ one bottle of Negra Modelo... named after the pilot episode of The A-Team in the summer of 2007. It's a variant on the less-than-popular cocktail, the Boilermaker. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Andre said...

OK, so I missed "Let's Spend the Night Together" in the 1st set & "Good Lovin'," "Frankiln's" & "Watchtower" in the 2nd. Oh, & "Blow Away" & "Same Thing" were flip-flopped.