Monday, June 6, 2011

Gold Cup Post #1

The Gold Cup, the bi-annual CONCACAF championship tournament, started yesterday in Dallas w/ Mexico & Costa Rica both winning their respective matches 5-0 (against Cuba & El Salvador). Today, we have Group B in Carson, CA w/ Jamaica playing Grenada & then Honduras taking on Guatemala. The 2nd match should actually be pretty good. Tomorrow, we'll be going down to Ford Field for a nice Group C double header. First up will be Panama v Gaudeloupe before the big USA v Canada match. I haven't been to a US Men's Team match since the Gold Cup Final in 2007 @ Soldier Field when the came from 1-0 down @ the half to win 2-1. My other forays into USMNT support include a few matches in Columbus 10 or 12 years ago.I have a feeling that tomorrow's match will have a slightly larger US fan base. Four years ago, we were in the vast minority, but playing Canada, a team whose best days seem to be behind them... like back in 1986... but I'm sure they're be a nice crowd from Toronto & Windsor. not to mention, our family friend, Clive, whom I haven't seen in a few years. He was a coach of mine in Petoskey & is now a big-wig w/ the CSA. There's even talk that he might be able to get us into the official Canadian Box. We'll see if they're let a few crazy Yanks in there.I have a sneaking suspicion that many of you, dear readers, will also be attending the game. I suggest a pre-match drink @ The Elwood, say 5:00ish??? Sign up if you're up for a drink... & feel free to post your conflicting pre-match plans for everyone else to see too. For instance, if you're going to Cheli's pr something, that could always work too. I'll be picking Aiden up from school & then meeting up w/ my Dad, @ which point, we'll head downtown & meet up w/ Liz & Dan. I hope to see you all there! And be sure to check back here tomorrow for team news before the match.

No comments: