Wednesday, September 28, 2011

R&R HoF

The list of the 2012 Rock n Roll Hall of fame nominees was released yesterday. I imagine most of you have already seen it, but since I didn't have time to post anything yesterday, I'm commenting right now. First off, I know many if you probably think the Hall is ridiculous, & pretty anti-Rock n Roll, but I've always been interested in it. I guess it's just my constant need for nostalgic crap. Whatever the reason, here's the list of nominees:
Beastie Boys
The Cure
Donovan
Eric B. & Rakim
Guns 'N Roses
Heart
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
Freddie King
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rufus with Chaka Khan
The Small Faces/The Faces
The Spinners
Donna Summer
War

In previous years, they've inducted 5-7 acts per year. I would imagine it'll be the same this year, which means Rufus w/ Chaka Khan will be out of luck. As will Donna Summer I would guess. I bet The Beastie Boys will get in before Eric B & Rakim; they're more famous after all. But for my money (which is negligible lately), I'd go w/ Rakim every day of the week. His influence on hip hop has been huge, & while the beasties have obviously sold more records, Eric B & Rakim are the better group... & there's no way the HoF will induct 2 hip hop groups the same year.

Of course, The Faces & War should go in... a nice argument could be made that they should be in already. Donovan will probably get in this year too... & Freddie King. As a way to ensure enough Motown representation, The Spinners will go in too, which leaves room for 1 more act... I would think it will be Heart, but GnR or the Chili Peppers could edge them out. I think I would prefer to see Guns n Roses make it, but Heart has been around a lot longer & have some sort of Seattle street cred... even though they kind of suck. I could also see Laura Nyro sneak in since she'd been nominated before, but I don't know who she is. Maybe I should, she can't be worse than Heart. I also don't see Joan Jett of The Cure making it yet... but some day, I'm sure.

No comments: