Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Classy Weekend

Yesterday, my mom & I took Aiden & Solstice to the Detroit Symphony. They do a free family show about once a month. It was fantastic. I'd never seen them before, & wow... they know their shit. I shouldn't be so surprised, but I'd never see any orchestras before other than student ones. They performed for about an hour which was perfect for the kids. Next time, we'll have to plan ahead & get tix to a museum too... & maybe some Lafayette Coney Island in between. Nothing says classy like chili cheese fries. Anyway, between each piece, the conductor, Leonard Slatkin, talked to the kids about the subsequent piece, explaining what it was about & why they chose to do it. Here's what they played:
Overture to Candide - Leonard Berstein

Summon the Heroes - John Williams

"Hoe Down" from Rodeo - Aaron Copeland

Rhapsody in Blue - George Gershwin (featuring Michel Camilo on piano)

Tropical Jam - Michel Camilo

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) - John Williams

Then today, while Dan & I were classing it up w/ staches for our 1st Verde FC match, My mom took Solstice to see The Magic Flute at the Detroit Opera House. She says she loved it. I'm so glad she got to go. I think she's looking forward to doing that kind of stuff more often. Verde, on the other hand, lost 3-0 @ home to Brighton today. Their first goal was due to a ridiculous defensive break down, their second was clearly offsides, & their 3rd was right @ the end on a counter attack while we were all pushed up trying to score. Plus, we had to deal w/ the wind which was harder for us than them because we demand a more beautiful style of quick passing... very much like a symphony, now that I think about it. They just play sloppily. (we play them again in a couple weeks in a cup match & would love to see you all out there supporting your local team.) So w/ these things in mind, we'll call it a draw. And that's some classy logic.

No comments: